Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle Christian McArdle is offline

Default switch-fuse and service-fuse discrimination

Realistic overload condition: It's christmas, evening time. The cooker
is running all 3 electric ovens (6kW), the lights in all 14 rooms are
on (2kW), the wife has decided it's a good time to fire up the kiln
(3.5kW) and the underfloor heating is on in the cellar (3.5kW). The
washing machine and dishwasher are running (3.5kW), someone is drying
their hair (1kW) The TV and all associated gubbins are on (1kW), Granny
has decided it's cold in her room and turned on the 3kW fan heater.
(We're now up to 23.5kW - 98A). Someone boils the kettle and we're now
over our 100A. This assumes that the electric shower has been removed.

That lot is easily dealt with by diversity. It is very unlikely that most of
those heating appliances will be on simultaneously as they will largely be
thermostatically controlled. The system is designed to cope with short term
overloads where by fluke all the thermostats are engaged.

Christian.