Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Making new brass look old

dave wrote:
Hello. My house was built in 1924 and has many brass switch and outlet
plates. I need to put a brass plate on a new outlet. Polished brass
just looks too new. Antique finished brass doesn't look old at all.
Is there a way to make a new brass plate look like its been in use for
80 years??

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would use paint remover to take off the clear lacquer protective coat.
It will tarnish in no time. If brass plate, you may want to coat it
again so the brass doesn't pit - new brass plate is usually very thin.
If you are impatient, put it in a dish with a boiled egg )