Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike O'Donnell Mike O'Donnell is offline

Default Electrical Panel Upgrade questions

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"marspinball" wrote in message
Hi

I've decided to install central HVAC and was told that I will need a new
panel since mine is a 60 amp. My home was built in 1951. I have upgraded
to all modern appliances and have added numerous lighting and ceiling
fans also. I also have a game room with about twelve coin operated
commercial arcade games. Currently there is only a gas wall heater.

Since I have to upgrade the panel what amperage should I need and what
should I expect to pay. Should there be a difference in price between a
100 and 200 amp service. Also should the upgrade entail upgrading two
prong outlets, the ones without the ground. Since I have had many
electrical wire upgrades in the past all new circuits have grounds but
the bedroom/livingroom still have two prong plugs.

Thanks.

I contacted PSE for how much it would cost to upgrade my 100 A service to
200 A and it was grand total of $375 for doing the upgrade, they need to
take your service offline for a relatively large amount of time, one to
disconnect the current connection and then it will be off until the
upgrade to the service and the PERMITS and INSPECTION to the new meter,
panel, and anything else applicable are finished. Basically they told me
it would be off for about 6 hours.

Of course $375 doesn't cover the cost for having the electrician do
his/her work.

I did mine a few years ago. The local building codes (central Ohio) allow
the homeowner to do electrical work on his own home without a license, as
long as it passes inspection. I upgraded from a 1968 Federal Pacific 100
amp/8 circuit to a 200A/40 circuit Square D Q0 series. Parts were around
$450. The only thing I needed to pay to the electric company (actually
municipal power) was $30 for the permit. They came out on the scheduled
day, cut off the power where it reached the house & pulled the meter, then
after I was done the inspector checked the work and he called the crew to
re-attach the power. The city even provided a new 200A meter base as part
of the permit. Took most of the day. I arranged things with my neighbor
so I could run a couple of long extension cords from their house for my
fridge and sump pump while I was doing the work.

Prior to doing the work, I did a lot of research, and placed several calls
to the inspector with questions. He was very friendly about it, and pointed
out several areas where they require above the national code (they require
heavier service feed lines, etc.)

A neighbor (not very adept at home repairs) has his replaced by an
electrician, essentially the same type of upgrade, it was about $1000. Of
course the pro was able do it in about 1/4 the time.

Mike O.