Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tom_sawyer70@yahoo.com is offline

Default Auto repair scam

Larry Jaques wrote:
Buying new is a waste of money in many cases. If you're doing your own
pad replacement, grab a Chilton (or other manual) and learn how to do
the rest of the labor yourself. I've had my rotors and drums turned by
local shops for about $20 ($5 each in 2002) for decades now, since I
retired from wrenchin' with back problems.

In my case, it didn't seem to make sense to have my rotors turned. New
rotors for my "everyday" vehicle cost me ~$18each. Since I'm replacing
the pads and already have the wheel off, it's just a few more steps to
replace the rotors and I don't have to worry about paying for them to
be turned and/or when they'll warp again.

Your location may have something to do with it...I don't know any place
around here that comes close to $20 to turn them without charging
significantly more for pulling the tires and/or replacing the pads at
the same time. I found out that I could replace my front pads and
rotors for less than $60. I don't think I've ever walked out of a
garage for less than that, regardless of how minor the maintenance was.
Heck, the last time I had an inspection, they wanted $40 to replace
the air filter. I did it for less than $10 and about 2 minutes worth
of time when I realized what was involved.