Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Auto repair scam

On 16 Jul 2006 19:24:55 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Agreed. As an ex-mechanic, I know for a fact that most drums and
rotors DO need resurfacing and truing. If you can live with a
pulsating pedal and a harder pedal pressure for stopping, don't turn
'em. Who cares if it's less safe?

I do not doubt that some times, one does need to replace brake pads and
rotors. But what I found in my class is that I can buy the pads and
rotors and change them within an hour's time for about $200 less than
what I was quoted. Actually, in my case, the cost to resurface a rotor
costs more in labor (aside from the part cost) than to just buy a new
one every couple of years.

Buying new is a waste of money in many cases. If you're doing your own
pad replacement, grab a Chilton (or other manual) and learn how to do
the rest of the labor yourself. I've had my rotors and drums turned by
local shops for about $20 ($5 each in 2002) for decades now, since I
retired from wrenchin' with back problems.

Repack your front wheel bearings when you do that. The whole thing
takes just a couple hours + transport to and from the brake shop who
has the lathe. Schedule it and you can be in and out of their shop in
20 minutes. Machines shops also turn these, but brake shops are
better at it (and usually cheaper) since they do it every day of their
lives.

I believe there are good mechanics out there, but the concern that
people are being ripped off is not unfounded.

True.

--
Simplicity doesn't mean to live in misery and poverty. You have what you
need and you don't want what you don't need. --Charan Singh (1916-1990)