Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Latex paint waste pour on ground?

John wrote:
Harry K wrote:

John wrote:
Alan Sung wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Our house exterior is being painted with Sherwin Williams latex exterior
paint. Our painters insist on dumping their paint rinsing water etc. on
the ground. I've heard this is not good for the environment and I don't
want to create a toxic waste site in my yard.

Just offer it up for free on Craigslist. There's always someone looking for
some extra paint for a small projects (i.e. bird house builders or
crafters).

To clarify, this is waste from cleaning etc (still a lot of paint) but mixed
with water, paint thinner etc. It is not excess paint still in the original
cans/buckets.

As others have said. There is no harm in cleaning brushes, etc. in the
yard. There is no paint thinner per se used for latex as the "thinner"
is plain water. Do not put it in your septic though.

Actually they did have a few cans of "Paint Thinner - made with mineral spirits."
Not sure why they would need it for latex paint (Sherwin Williams A100 primer and
Duration exterior) but probably were cleaning brushes with it for some reason.

Not for latex. I was made to do it by my neighbor's 80 yoa mother. It
turned the brushes into a mess. The latex paint didn't clean out but
turned to some kind of gummy mess. I finally was able to clean em up
with water. I can't think of any reason for it while using latex but
they would have it on the truck for jobs using oil base.

Harry K