Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
CJT CJT is offline

Default Problems with air conditioners, etc

Ignoramus18860 wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:03:50 GMT, CJT wrote:

Never_Enough_Tools wrote:

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
egroups.com...

I agree, I kept my old unit running replacing wires and capacitors &
even fans and blowers for 10 years before replacing the whole thing.
I've found that unless you can find an open connection it is likely a
capacitor & often a bad capacitor will fry a wire which will also need
to be replaced. Caps are a good first try, and much cheaper than a
house call. The main thing is that after you run through it with the
multimeter, turn off the power before poking around and still you
should treat it like it is hot.

Count me in too....My AC stopped working once and in a moment of weakness I
let the wife call a service company out of the newspaper. The guy came over,
poked around inside and out, then declared the compressor dead and started
to sell me a whole new unit.

The last time I calls a "professional," he proceeded to rip the wires
off all the terminal blocks and then pronounced I'd need a whole new
unit. When I asked him to instead put it back the way he'd found it so
I could get a second opinion, he refused, got in his truck, and drove
away.

Hm, why did he do it?

I assume he hoped I'd buy as he proposed.