Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
W Canaday W Canaday is offline

Default Pictures. To post or not to post. Musing about the option.

As always, I invite your thoughts, pro & con, mild or strong. Assuming
of course, that you and I have the foggiest notion of what I'm musing
about.

In a moment of haphazard brilliance, I accidentally deleted Archs'
posting, so please forgive me for posting here. I DID want to confine my
response to the original thread.

Arch ... why be dogmatic about it? Post pics when they convey the message
better than words alone and post just words when you are able to
communicate most effectively that way. Technical pics, especially, help to
convey material that words alone cannot.

For example, it would be much easier to convey the difference between
wavy, curly and fiddle-back grain with a series of three photographs than
to attempt to quantify how much curl at what wavelength must be present
for each of the three grain designations.

I note that you enjoy teaching
.... many of your posts are intended to provoke thought. People learn via
many channels -- why not use the visual channel to augment / concretize
the abstractions that words alone so often convey?

Just my two cent respond to your request for feedback.

Bill