Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Normal A/C on / off cycle durations?

JimL wrote:

On 16 Jul 2006 22:13:23 -0700, "glynndaddy"
wrote:

Is there a general rule-of-thumb for how long an air conditioner should
run and how long it should stay off? I realize this probably depends
on a variety of variables, but is there a rule-of-thumb. I've searched
quite a bit and can not seem to find an answer.

If it helps, my house is 1 story, 2400 sq ft. I have the thermostat
set at 78. It is 85 degrees outside, humidy 72%.

Right now, my a/c stays on for 8 - 10 minutes and goes off for 7 - 9
minutes.

Thanks for your help.

yeah, what darrel said plus, my thermastat has a 1 or 2 degree
differential setting. The 2 setting makes it run longer between
cycles.

This time of year, in the hottest part of the day, a well designed
system should be running just about all the time.

No matter how hot it is, it can get hotter. I would say a well designed
system should be running _most_ of the time; you never want to run out
of reserve. If it's at a 50-60% duty cycle, it'll be effective removing
the humidity.