Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making new brass look old

"dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. My house was built in 1924 and has many brass switch and outlet
plates. I need to put a brass plate on a new outlet. Polished brass
just looks too new. Antique finished brass doesn't look old at all.
Is there a way to make a new brass plate look like its been in use for
80 years??

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The new polished brass has a coating of something on it to keep it from
tarnishing for years. I suppose if you used an abrasive polish or had a
polishing wheel with rouge, you may be able to remove the coating and the
plate should tarnish naturally like the originals do.