Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Sale of a house and un-premitted electrical improvements

JimL wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:59:24 GMT, wrote:

I made some new electrical circuits in my house, like a garage
subpanel for example. I use it to power my electric powered toys in
the garage. Needless to say, I never bothered with permits, although,
I think, these changes do meet code (I tried to do so). My question
is, if I decide to sell my house, is the most sensible thing to just
remove the subpanel and the wiring? To not have any possible issues
with the inspectors? For typical house owning, TV watching morons,
having that subpanel in the garage offers very little value, so, I
think, it is easiest to just remove that unpermitted circuit. Good or
bad thinking?

Good in that you are considering the question. Bad in that you
didn't include the jurisdiction that applies to you. Almost 100
percent of the logic comes from the jurisdiction..

If you lived in El Paso, Texas, then I'd consider you a complete and
total fool for even thinking about code. Sure they have codes.
Would a sale generate a search of government permits for everything in
the house - Absolutey not.

If you lived in Boston, then maybe you should consider that it might
be cheaper to take everything out.

Sell your house 'as-is' and disclose those things that are major such
as termite damage, etc.

I'm not sure I'd consider selling a home these days without the "as-is"
qualifier no matter how perfect it was.

Pete C.