Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Sale of a house and un-premitted electrical improvements

I suggest you check with your local government about their procedures
when a home is sold. Within 20 miles of my home, some towns require a
pre sale inspection by the town inspector; some provide it (with a
charge) if you request it, and some require no inspection at all.
Depending on what your town does, you can make an informed decision.

I'm curious about your statement that you tried to meet code; my
experience is that almost anyone can do an installation, but few, other
than electricians, know what the actual code requirements are.

wrote:
I made some new electrical circuits in my house, like a garage
subpanel for example. I use it to power my electric powered toys in
the garage. Needless to say, I never bothered with permits, although,
I think, these changes do meet code (I tried to do so). My question
is, if I decide to sell my house, is the most sensible thing to just
remove the subpanel and the wiring? To not have any possible issues
with the inspectors? For typical house owning, TV watching morons,
having that subpanel in the garage offers very little value, so, I
think, it is easiest to just remove that unpermitted circuit. Good or
bad thinking?