Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default I need some advice about retro-insulating a cathedral ceiling.

On 17 Jul 2006 08:50:01 -0700, "finding z0" wrote:

marson wrote:
fixing it from the outside would be better, but at two stories up it
might be tough. I would try to get a roofer to do it, and if that
didn't work, you can always go back to fixing it from the inside. you
might try cutting a smallish hole in the sheetrock and sliding a hose
down there and blowing cellulose in working it up. that's a lot of
work too. you'll have to get a blower for one bag of cellulose, create
the mother of all messes, etc. the other option is to remove sheetrock
from most of the joist bay and use fiberglass batts. then you would
have a large patch to contend with.

Pretty much where my thinking ended up as well. Another issue is how
to prevent the cellulse from blocking either end where the air
circulates to the eave vents. It's a half roof with eave vents on top
and bottom. Some suggested making a small hole and pushing foam peanuts
up there....not sure if they are right for the job...lol...

Lowe's and home depot sell some ventilating baffles made of thin foam
so you have a path for air to circulation from soffit to ridge/roof
vent. The ones I saw come in 4 feet length and are as wide as most
roof rafters. Then you lay your insulation between them and your
sheetrock ceiling and you have ventilation next to the roof and
insulation next to your ceiling.