Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Adding a coat of finish to hardwood floor

On 17 Jul 2006 09:57:49 -0700, wrote:

My wife and I are moving into a house with beautiful hardwood floors
that have been hidden under shag carpet for years. The carpet and pad
appear to have left the wood it almost new condition (1950's)

I know fully refinishing hardwood is either expensive to have done
professionally and an enormous amount of work to do yourself. So, I am
looking for a simpler way to treat the floors prior to our move-in.

Is there a problem with simply applying a coat or two of modern
polyurethane to make sure the surface stays in great condition? If this
works, would I have to lightly sand the surface first or could I just
apply the polyurethane after a good cleaning?

I have not closed on the house yet, so I haven't' been able to test
the current surface for water absorption, wax, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

Lightly sand would be nice.

If you have some imperfections, Start with 80 grit, move to 150 grit
and finish with 220 grit. Use a tack cloth to remove dust between
sandings.

Then finish off with 400 grit and remove all dust from the room and
lay down your poly.