Posted to rec.woodworking
IBM5081 IBM5081 is offline

Default generator/extension cord question

I have used a Honda 2200 watt (104 pounds) for a number of years. It
went to Mississippi for a while after Katrina but is now back. For one
tool at a time it's just barely adequate. Chop saws and circular saws
will run OK with it if they are brought up to full speed first and
don't get bound in a cut or forced into the material. I have a wheel
kit on it.

For what you want to do, it's going to take at least 3500-5000 watts of
generator. I doubt that you will need to go to a 6250 rating. Problem
is, now the thing weighs 150 pounds or more. It's at least a two person
deal unless you can mount it on a 5x10 trailer and bolt it down. It
will need the 4-5 gallon tank, not the little 1.5 gallon tank that goes
empty in the middle of the job.

I use 10 guage cord, 50' long. Otherwise it's 12 guage in either 50' or
100'.

BTW, get the unit with the largest muffler available. Do not get the
4000 watt unit, 1 gallon tank and tiny hot-dog muffler. Your ears will
thank you.