Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default generator/extension cord question

tysteel300 said:
snip
But what I need to get first is a generator, because in a few places where
I've
been sent to do jobs, the electricians haven't set the poles up and I
have nothing to plug into. I have to end up borrowing someone else's
generator but I need to get one of my own.

I'm looking to get the smallest generator possible because I have space
limitations in my car. I was looking at the Coleman Pulse that has a
maximum of 1850 watts (surge) but I'm not sure if that's enough. I
guess it may be enough for the drill, but it probably won't be enough
for either a circular saw or the chop saw. What would be the minimum
wattage size of a generator to run something like a 15 amp Milwaukee
chop saw or circular saw?

snip

Get a Honda.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=en2500

This little (affordable) generator will fit in your car's trunk and it has
enough power for your requirements.
The Coleman's may be fine for limited use but take it from someone who uses
generators frequently, you will soon grow to hate it.

As with any generator, use the shortest/fattest cord you can and do service
it regularly.

Dave