Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Cutting galvanised steel tube

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

I've read through this thread looking for someone to answer the
question, that if you cut galvanising how to you re-seal it ? If the
assembly is to be made of coated steel then there it must be required
to be used in a situation where the galvanising is complete - cut it
and rusting will occur.

I want to build a conservatory of galvanised 2" box section steel as
there is a headroom problem using anything else and if I buy it in and
cut it how do I then protect the exposed ends, drill holes, etc.

Rob