Posted to uk.d-i-y
spiralpromo spiralpromo is offline

Default Outdoor socket help required

The building is directly next door- (as the crow flies the sockets are
only 5m apart. In fact if I could drill through the wall separating the
bulidings they would be about 1m apart.

What is the reason that you can't? Could a cable be routed under say
a path between buildings?

The walls are ridiculously thick as its a very old property (probably
1.5m thick judging from the window recesses) I don't feel confident
about what I would be drilling through. There is a hole out of the
front of the house already (from a previous aerial) which I am using &
routing it straight along the stone wall into the connecting building
next door. It doesn't go along the floor at all (its clipped into a U
shape to avoid an awkwardly placed downpipe). (Its more of a really old
extension/stone lean to, & is physically connected to our house. I
wonder if people think I am trailing a cable down the garden??)

The problem is that a desire for a light tends to soon become,
"while I/you are at it couldn't I/you just..." Thus it is worthwhile
getting it right and allowing for future expansion in the design.

Oh no, I'm not going there I only want a lamp in there- that's all.
I have no plans for a kitchen extension or anything else. Just a small
lamp

Part pee is rightly criticised here because it does nothing to
prevent shoddy jobs. It is simply an indication of the ridiculous
approach taken by administrators who know nothing about engineering.
They are only interested in having boxes to tick. Safety might be
the claimed goal, but that claim is a bogus one, as the CORGI con
demonstrates eloquently. Instead of learning from that blunder
administrators continue as if everything they do is perfect.

Yes. There is nothing in this bit I can disagree with- you've got me
there. Damn those guys with clipboards!!