Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The nuclear deterrent.

Mark wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:32:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...oact/index.htm

has some worthwhile reading on these topics.

The amount of actual radioactivity in the environment from the nuclear
industry seems extraordinarily low.

Most of it is short duration stuff, and what gets into us is trivial
compared with the natural background levels.

Personnally I would like to see more research and understanding on
what causes cancer "hot-spots" before we risk raising the level of
background or other radiation.

Mark

But that is precisely what HAS happened.

Total exposure from the nuclear industry is less than 0.2% of the total
we receive, whereas medical uses is a wopping 14%, and natural radiation
is 85%..

In short there is bugger all exposure at all to any nuclear power
radiation. Despite all the hooha.

Just allowing the indiustry to dose us with as much as e.g. tooth X-rays
would eliminate 90% of the low level waste disposal 'problem'

The Chernobyl accident HAS provided data..