Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe Ron Lowe is offline

Default New ring main in kitchen

"Barry" wrote in message

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
What I'd like to do is to go under the stairs, drill out through the
back

of
the consumer unit and then chase a channel out horizontally, at that

height,
around that wall, then going vertically up to socket boxes positioned on
that wall above the worktops,

In a kitchen, I would run horizontally directly from socket to socket at
the
above worktop height. This reduces the circuit length. It is allowed by
regulations, although I would only consider it in the kitchen situation.

Your solution is only acceptable if the horizontal sections are surface
mounted on the wall (i.e. behind the units). If buried, then they would
need
physical protection.

Christian.

Thanks for your reply Christian. If you'd be so kind to have a look at my
(equally abysmal) second drawing he http://tinyurl.com/k57ne would that
be the preferable option. I hadn't thought about a socket on the dividing
wall between kitchen and "under the stairs" but it would certainly come in
handy.

Thanks,

Barry

And you will run a second 2.5 T+E in the same channel, from the
last socket all the way back to the CU to complete the ring?

Or will you run the other leg of the ring a different route back to the CU?

--
Ron