Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default New ring main in kitchen

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:55:20 +0100 someone who may be "Barry"
wrote this:-

What I'd like to do is to go under the stairs, drill out through the back of
the consumer unit and then chase a channel out horizontally, at that height,
around that wall, then going vertically up to socket boxes positioned on
that wall above the worktops,

That would be fine if:-

1) all the cable runs are mechanically protected under the surface.

2) the cable is run on the surface.

3) the cable is run horizontally or vertically between visible
sockets, with or without mechanical protection. You could drill
above the consumer unit to come out into the back of a socket and
then run horizontally to the next socket.

finally going up

From a socket as 3), otherwise 1) or 2).

and across the ceiling void

No problem.

to drop down to sockets on the opposite wall.

As in my first paragraph.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh