Grant Erwin

Default Making 4-11/16" Holes in Al Panel

Google on "trepanning cuts" - Google Tells All, soon to be recognizable
by the acronym GTA .. - GWE

Koz wrote:

Kinda cool design. If implimented with quality, it could actually work.
I dobt that the quality would be high enough from HF though to really
trust it.

And this brings forth a question....what would the best way to grind the
cutting points be? In my application, I would love to be able to cut
blanks from 2" thick UHMW that are about 8" in diameter. I'd have to
pilot it or it'd be almost impossible though. However, I have never
actually thought about where one needs the clearance to keep from
binding or to reduce the amount of drag/wobble on such a thing. I
assume the torque would be tremendous so having the cutter wrong would
shut you down pretty quickly. I've seen the big double cutter style in
the MSC catalog and similar...seems awfully expensive for loose
tolerance cutting of blanks to be machined later though.

Any comments?

Koz

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You can use a single point circle cutter in the drill press. Just make sure you
clamp the work down firmly with a piece of plywood under it.

Here's a link to a picture of one. Lots of different manufacturers make cutters
just like it. Mine (I've had it for the last 50 years or so) is a Greenlee brand:

http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=4357174

Here's a design variation I haven't seen before. Looks like it'd be worth $10.

Jeff