Posted to alt.home.repair
MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC is offline

Default Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

"Gas water heater timers".... boy, those go back a *ways*.

These were availaible from at least two different manufacturers, AMF
used to make such a device called a "QWATERBACK" - I remembered the
name (took a couple of days) - and GOOGLE found one still in the box,
on eBay, if anyone is wondering what they looked like:

http://tinyurl.com/jeztl

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

I have no idea how - or if - this device was effective or safe.

Or if it would be considered an acceptable modification by your WH's
manufacturer.

Or by your local building department.

Or your insurance company.

My guess would be that the answer is to all three is no , and if I
found one of these during an inspection I'd recommend it's
disconnection unless all three approvals could be confirmed - and even
then, how would you find a "qualified person" to perform an
inspection or repair of such an installation?

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom