Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

Default Finishing Basement Walls: Drywall Backer Required with Planking?

wrote:
I'm tring to decide what to use for my basement walls. I have
everything framed up with 2x4's, added insulation and installed a vapor
barrier. I'm considering the following options (cheapest options
first):

painted drywall
paneling over unfinished drywall
PGM Wood Products wood planking (directly to the studs) pine or cedar
(most likely pine)

I like the idea of wood planking because it's easy to work with and do
a little at a time but I've seen some manufacturers don't recommend it
be applied directly to studs (and that a drywall backer should be
used). Is that really necessary? If I have to have a drywall backer,
I think I might just do paneling over it or (if I can't find a paneling
I like) or just paint it.

Any feedback you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

Some mfgs recommend paneling over drywall because of the really cheap
and flexi nature of the paneling. If it were me I would just drywall and
paint. If fact thats what I'm doing!