Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Ron Peterson Ron Peterson is offline

Default Frugal lighting

Don Klipstein wrote:
In . com, Ron P. wrote:

The new fluorescent bulbs have a higher color temperature with more
blue light causing the perception of being much brighter.

I think more likely the phosphor degrades as the bulbs are used and the
replacement ones simply have full brightness.

That also occurs. I am just repeating the recommendation of consultant
that was given to our building managers. The recommendation was to
increase the color temperature of the fluorescent lights.

There are many 4-foot fluorescent lamps now rated to last 20,000 or
24,000 hours, and that is with 3 operating hours per start. Expect a bit
more with one start per workday.

And that also depends on the type of ballast used.

--
Ron