Jon Elson

Default Can something be TOO flat ?

Alan Rothenbush wrote:

It's like the back and forth slide acts like a pump, and a hydraulic "lock"
is generated.

All of this is absolutely foreign to me. Two flat things with oil between
them has always slid smoothly, but I've never had any two things THIS flat.

Can something be TOO flat to slide properly ?

Lots of affirmative comments, but not a lot of help on what
to do. Are you using way oil? If not, get some. It is designed
to not squish out of large, low PSI slideways. If this doesn't help,
they you are most likely going to have to frost it a bit to reduce
the gage-block effect. Having difficulty separating the surfaces is
not a problem, you don't WANT the surfaces to separate. But, you
do want to retain a thin oil film on the ways. If it has an oil
feed system, get that working so it applies a slow feed of oil to
the ways. That will prevent the film thinning down to nearly zero.

Marcus must have a REALLY fine surface grinder to make surfaces this
true!

Jon