Artemia Salina

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:59:34 -0500, Allan Adler wrote:

I've finished chapter VI of Gingery's book, The Metal Lathe. So far in the
book, I have been able to visualize details of the construction and to answer
most of my own questions about it. I do have a few questions about Ch.VI,
though, where I'm less certain.

(1) The frame assembly for the counter shaft can (p.70) be put together by
welding the parts. That sounds to me like a rigid assembly. On the other
hand, rivets are recommended as an alternative to welding. I don't know
anything about rivets or about the tools one would use with them in the
frame assembly. It does sound, however, as though they are also intended
for rigid construction.

That is mostly true, although I have seen cases where rivets were used as pivots
in lever joints. Usually on cheaply made mechanical devices (think of a cheap can
opener, for example).

Sounds like Gingery is making some assumptions about the reader's skill level
and ability to improvise. Then again it wouldn't be much fun to build a
machine in a strictly paint-by-numbers fashion, where one's noodle isn't
brought into play. Maybe when he talks of welding the frame together he
doesn't bother to mention the use of nuts and bolts for any hinged parts.
I don't know since I don't have the book.

What is the book I need to read to get the necessary background in
fractional horsepower (and why only those?) motors and the frames they
need?

Not sure you need an entire book on the subject in order to get the
layout of the different motor frame styles. This link should provide
the needed info:

http://www.joliet-equipment.com/nema_frame_chart.htm

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar