Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Auto repair scam

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:04:35 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jerryl" quickly quoth:

snip
Of course most brake jobs don't require turning the rotors or the drums,
especially if the car has been driven reasonably and there is no deep
scoring.

Not 100% true. Heat alone distorts the rotors and drums.

Agreed. As an ex-mechanic, I know for a fact that most drums and
rotors DO need resurfacing and truing. If you can live with a
pulsating pedal and a harder pedal pressure for stopping, don't turn
'em. Who cares if it's less safe?

Yeah, I probably should not have used "most"
because "most" drivers are idiots and cause all
sorts of maintenance problems.

None the less, there are significant number of
pad replacements needed due to pad wear when the
brakes exhibit no pulsating pedal or need hard
pressure to stop. I think I've had only one
car/truck where I had a pulsating pedal and most
of my cars were purchased with over 50,000 miles
and needed one or more brake jobs before I got rid
of them.

Shops like to resurface rotors and often the scam
is "the rotors are too thin to be turned, or your
rotors are warped, so you need new rotors."