Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default thin strong partition wall - followup

wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

Previously it was decided that the best approx 1" thick partition would
be a 1" thick fibre cement panel, which would be very stiff and strong.
Well, what I have decided to do is render-up a panel (vertically) to
approx this thickness against a ply former and mesh etc. But I want the
mix to be almost fibre-cement concrete, so it's very strong. What mix
of cement, sharp sand, fibres and aggregate would be best to us ? The
result should be very strong but also render-able without all aggregate
sinking to the bottom etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

3:1 sand:cement, as this gives the strongest end result. Stronger mixes
will microcrack during cure, thus weakening.

5% chopped alkali-resistance glass fibre will give you proper fibre
reinforced cement. There are other fibre options too, but this is whats
mostly used now that the asbestoses are out of fashion.

Will you use ss screws half way in top and bottom then the crete laid
over them to fix it in place?

Not sure what you mean about this last bit. I will be using mesh to
render onto. I can see screws half way in for a mega-good key, but not
sure what you mean by "top and bottom".
Also, I wondered if putting in any larger aggregate than sand might
help to make it a bit more like concrete ?
Thanks,
Simon.