Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] adder1969@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Retaining Wall...brick types

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

LBC Tudors seem to be rated MN (Moderately frost resistant,
normal soluble salt content). They won't last all that long
if in contact with a bank of wet soil. A damp proof membrane
behind the wall might help, but you need to work out how
water behind the wall drains away, depending on the local
soil drainage.

My garden had LBC windsors with no enginnering bricks in the
underground courses and no DPM or anything like that. Most was a bit
green but I can't remember seeing any of it that was frost damaged -
that's after 20 years. I'm near London though so the frosts aren't
usually too bad.

On a wall that I built I painted the back with bituminous paint to act
as the DPC and so far so good. I put a few pipes though so that the
soil could drain if it got very wet.