Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TSM TSM is offline

Default Reduce color saturation

"Arfa Daily" wrote:

You can't really alter the 'saturation' as such, of an RGB signal, once it's
in the outside world, in that format. Reducing saturation implies that at
some point, you could get back to a picture that had no colour in it at all
ie a black and white picture, and that is not possible. All you could do
would be to "pot down" each individual colour component, but the overall
effect of this would be exactly the same as turning down the monitor
contrast control. What exactly is it that you are wanting to do ? What is
the source of your RGB signal ? If it's a computer, most picture
manipulation software, allows for saturation and hue to be adjusted.

They are 2 arcade boards I'm powering with an AT PSU. They are
connected with a Commodore monitor through a SCART cable. The signals
directly come out from the board and the owner was supposed to adjust
the picture using the monitor's trimmers. One of the board gives a bad
picture. Since it is very difficult for me to explain, you can look at
these pictures:
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/vic20/service/zid1.bmp
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/vic20/service/zid2.bmp

In the second one, no matter what you do with the contrast and
brightness knobs, you will never be able to read the player's name on
the shirt.

I don't want to touch the monitor's internal trimmers, since they are
ok for most things, so I would like to build some device to alter the
signal before it arrives at the monitor.

Thanks

--
TSM