Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Pictures. To post or not to post. Musing about the option.

I occasionally butt in on a thread at another fine forum that includes
pics and words. I do not post pics, but I feel comfortable there because
of so many rcw alumni who know I mean well so they suffer my posts
gladly like old friends do. Not so with my last intrusion there which
was mis-taken as an insult and provoked a derisive retort that implied
that words posted with never a picture are suspect.

Our little contretemps was apparently deleted and I'm not trying to stir
the pot or nurse a perceived put down. I _am defending the option of
turners who for whatever reason don't post pictures of their work. The
incalculable value of the thousands of pictures posted to net forums and
sites isn't in question here, but I believe that posting text with never
a pic is an acceptable personal option as is posting a pic of every
piece turned. Both can have legitimate reasons, but neither warrants
derision.

I can understand that a few might feel that if you choose not to picture
your work, you must have something to hide and nothing to offer.
Conversely a few might assume that if you post continuously, you must
have a need you are trying to fill. Not many turners, including me,
accept either premise. Pics are just an option.

As in the sciences, the established arts that I know of have a written
'literature' that grew up around them. The 'literature' helps to assure
each discipline an acceptance among co-workers and gains prestige with
the general public and collectors. Turned wood art probably needs a
'literature' in order to advance.
This isn't about word merchants with no turning experience who read and
regurgitate. It is about those of us who love the craft and try to
contribute, but only post text. Not every word posted is golden, but
then neither is every picture.

As always, I invite your thoughts, pro & con, mild or strong. Assuming
of course, that you and I have the foggiest notion of what I'm musing
about.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter