Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig Craig is offline

Default Changing over from Electric oven to gas - what are my options?

wrote...

Craig wrote:

If the OP does decide to go with gas in the kitchen, be sure to also
have

a gas line run to the furnace, water heater (and fireplace, if there is
one)
for future upgrades.

We have an oil tank in the basement so are you recommending me
abandoning oil altogether?

Not necessarily. But if you're going to the expense of bringing in a
natural gas line to the house, the added costs of running lines to other
areas is small if done at the same time, I'd think. If the water heater is
electric now, I'd certainly swap to gas when the current one fails, if not
sooner. For the furnace, check with the utilities, installers or someone
else to compare operating costs of one vs. the other. If you have an open
fireplace, it could be losing more heat than it produces--while a sealed
fireplace insert (gas--or even wood pellets) can be as efficient as a
furnace. If you do bring a gas line to the kitchen and nowhere else, then
have to replace a water heater in two years, you'll kick yourself for not
having a gas line at the heater ready. I suppose this does depend to some
extent on the ease of venting a gas water heater.

But I really agree with another responder who said that you should really
try to live with the current electric stove now and not go to the expense
(and having your yard torn up with a trencher) of converting one small
appliance to gas. I've used both and although I also prefer a gas stove, I'd
live with an electric one if that's the way the house is set up. I did live
with an electric stove in a home for over a decade. Being a lazy sort, I'm
much more interested in seeing that my stove, whether gas or electric, is
self-cleaning than how it's powered!

Craig