Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Pros and cons of a GFI on a non-grounded circuit

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:02:28 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

Friend of mine is remodeling the kitchen in a 40's home. No ground circuit
to anything. He wants to add some GFI receptacles to the kitchen. Is this a
good or bad idea? As far as we can tell, the wire to the kitchen area is
imbedded in plaster. Does not appear to be in conduit. The fuses are screw
in plug fuses.

Al

The NEC tells you you can replace ungrounded circuits with GFCI
receptacles, so you can have some type of ground fault protection.

Can't remember off the top of my head for you actually read it, might
be 406 something. Check for 'receptacle replacement'.

As for cons, I've been told many electronic items use the ground to
dump excess voltage. So, electronic items might have a lowered life
expectancy. Plus, since check with user manuals if you can operate
certain applicances without a effective equipment ground.

imho,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com