Posted to alt.home.repair
gorf gorf is offline

Default Best way to remove wallpaper?

Dawn wrote:
I have two bathrooms with wallpaper and my little steamer works but it's
going to take forever. I know there are chemicals you can put on the paper
to get it off. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best one, or is
there another method? We have one of those scoring things. Thanks for any
help.

We did our kitchen and it took forever, every square inch of wall paper
seemed glued to the wall and we'd lose drywall if we steamed it too
much. We also used a chemical (DIF?) without success. Heck, we had
rented a large steamer before we bought one since the project was going
to take longer than a day, the larger steamer didn't do much better and
it was much harder to handle due to its size and power (metal pieces get
rather hot).

We just now got to our bathroom and the wallpaper literally falls off in
large chunks with our little plastic steamer. In this case, a
criss-cross diagonal pattern made with a box cutter tool resulted in a
fairly clean and relatively painless task.

Now removing the giant mirrors that are glued onto the wall is another
story.

--
gorf