Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ppp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Auto repair scam

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 03:19:08 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Actually, I went to one only once. The name is "Jiffy" Lube. So when they
told me there was an hour wait I left and never went back. A couple of years
ago a local radiator repair shop put in a lube rack. I can go there during
the day since it is near work. Only ever waited more than 10 minutes one
time.

Its been around more than 30 years now but there is a Canadian chain
Mr Lube plus a few competitor chains that have this oil change
facility. You wait in you car and drive right into the road level bay
(or in a few older facilities on a raised ramp) when a bay is
available. If there are more than five cars waiting in line its I
come back during a less busy time. Its rare that I have to wait more
than half an hour for an oil change, and all this done without getting
out of the car. In many lube shops you get free coffee and a
complimentary newspaper too to make your wait more pleasant.

There is a work pit right under each car bay accessible from the lower
level room. One guy works from the road level and the other guy from
the pit. Its a beautifully coordinated process. The work is done
while you are still in the car parked over that bay. You should be
able to drive out within 10 to 15 minutes. Its impossible to fake any
work because you can see or feel work being done. Or if you are
interested enough you can get out of the car to watch the engine oil
being sucked out, filters changed, grease being applied, brakes
checked, etc. You have a choice of the house oil or a brand name oil
and they tear the seal open from new 1 liter containers to do the
pour. The empty containers are discarded. They'll do the 30 point
maintenance check and make a report on the things that need to be
looked into but they don't do any repair work. You can go to any
independent repair shop.