Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Electrical Panel Upgrade questions

marspinball wrote:
Hi

I've decided to install central HVAC and was told that I will need a new
panel since mine is a 60 amp. My home was built in 1951. I have upgraded to
all modern appliances and have added numerous lighting and ceiling fans
also. I also have a game room with about twelve coin operated commercial
arcade games. Currently there is only a gas wall heater.

Since I have to upgrade the panel what amperage should I need and what
should I expect to pay. Should there be a difference in price between a 100
and 200 amp service. Also should the upgrade entail upgrading two prong
outlets, the ones without the ground. Since I have had many electrical wire
upgrades in the past all new circuits have grounds but the
bedroom/livingroom still have two prong plugs.

Thanks.

The cost of materials will be a lot more for a 200A instead of a 100A --
the size of the main breaker determines the size of the wires for the
service drop. The size of the wires determines the size of the service
conduit. I think the labor for a 200 vs. 100 should be a little more
but not much.

I upgraded to 150A and it didn't cost much more than a 100A.
1.25" conduit instead of 2" (it would have been a lot easier if I'd used
1.5" conduit. D'oh!), smaller service conductors, and the existing power
line drop was already large enough; it might not have been large enough
for 200A, I dunno.) The power company didn't charge anything to
disconnect and reconnect.

There are also 125A service panels if a 100 is big enough but you want a
little room to grow.

I would not replace the wiring to the bedrooms. That's an expensive
PITA to do. I might ground one easily accessible outlet in each room
for plugging in the vacuum cleaner, etc. Maybe you can just ground one
outlet in the hallway, or install a GFCI outlet and it doesn't need a
ground.

You really need to check with your building inspector to see if you need
to update the wiring in the whole house when you replace the service. I
don't think you do, but it's up to him; every town has its own rules on
that kind of stuff.

Best regards,
Bob