Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
GWB GWB is offline

Default Latex paint waste pour on ground?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:54:43 -0400, John wrote:

Our house exterior is being painted with Sherwin Williams latex exterior
paint. Our painters insist on dumping their paint rinsing water etc. on
the ground. I've heard this is not good for the environment and I don't
want to create a toxic waste site in my yard. They say it is ok because
it is Latex, not Oil paint. Pouring it down my drain would be
equivalent, because of the septic system leach field.

Who's right?

Not commenting on the appropriateness of dumping the paint waste in
the yard: DO NOT LET IT GET IN YOUR SEPTIC!
If I had paint to dispose of, I'd let it harden and put it out with
the trash. I buy cheap roller covers and throw em out.
I rinse brushes in the yard, but that's not much paint in the yard.