Artemia Salina

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:30:32 -0500, Allan Adler wrote:

Thanks to Artemia Salina for helpful comments.

Whether one installs rigid rivets or pivoting ones to make the motor frame,
how does one install them?

There a number of types of rivets and ways to install them. Basically though,
you would drill holes through the members to be riveted and insert the rivets
into the holes. Then the rivet is compressed or "peened over" in one way or another,
either by means of impact or through the use of a press. Hot rivets are used in
some cases because the rivet is easier to compress when heated to a plastic state
and because as the rivet cools it contracts, drawing the joined pieces more tightly
together.

Regarding my question:
What is the book I need to read to get the necessary background in
fractional horsepower (and why only those?) motors and the frames they
need?

Artemia Salina writes:
Not sure you need an entire book on the subject

Trust me, I need an entire book. Or maybe two books. One on how one designs
and builds frames for various purposes, and maybe has a chapter on building
frames for motors. The other on motors, their classification, and varieties
of things to do with them. I see that Lindsay Books has reprinted an old book
on dynamos and electric motors, and another one on armature winding and motor
repair. Maybe that would give me some background, but probably not explain
NEMA stuff (for some reason, I'm having trouble connecting to www.nema.org).

I think maybe there is some confusion with the term "frame" here. Electric
motors have frames which are integral to them. There are different standard
types. It sounds like from your description that the frame of the motor is
attached to the frame of the lathe. You say that Gingery states that the frame
of the lathe will have to be modified to adapt a motor with a different frame
type (lets call it a "base") than the example he uses in his book (a NEMA 48).

To substitute a motor with a different base would require information on
the dimensions of the base (bolt hole patterns, height of shaft from bottom
of base, etc.). This information will allow you to design an adapter, or
modify the design of the mounting on the lathe's frame, to attach a motor
with a base style other than a NEMA 48.

in order to get the
layout of the different motor frame styles. This link should provide
the needed info:

http://www.joliet-equipment.com/nema_frame_chart.htm

I took a look at the site. It has a table of sizes that ought to be fairly
useful after I've read the book.

Specifically, what other information do you need?

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar