Allan Adler

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

Thanks to Artemia Salina for helpful comments.

Whether one installs rigid rivets or pivoting ones to make the motor frame,
how does one install them?

Sounds like Gingery is making some assumptions about the reader's skill level
and ability to improvise. Then again it wouldn't be much fun to build a
machine in a strictly paint-by-numbers fashion, where one's noodle isn't
brought into play. Maybe when he talks of welding the frame together he
doesn't bother to mention the use of nuts and bolts for any hinged parts.
I don't know since I don't have the book.

Gingery considers the design of the frame to be extremely simple, but does
go into a lot of detail, just as he does in the rest of the book. It's just
that there are things I don't know in this case that I don't know how to
look up.

Regarding my question:
What is the book I need to read to get the necessary background in
fractional horsepower (and why only those?) motors and the frames they
need?

Artemia Salina writes:
Not sure you need an entire book on the subject

Trust me, I need an entire book. Or maybe two books. One on how one designs
and builds frames for various purposes, and maybe has a chapter on building
frames for motors. The other on motors, their classification, and varieties
of things to do with them. I see that Lindsay Books has reprinted an old book
on dynamos and electric motors, and another one on armature winding and motor
repair. Maybe that would give me some background, but probably not explain
NEMA stuff (for some reason, I'm having trouble connecting to www.nema.org).

in order to get the
layout of the different motor frame styles. This link should provide
the needed info:

http://www.joliet-equipment.com/nema_frame_chart.htm

I took a look at the site. It has a table of sizes that ought to be fairly
useful after I've read the book.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *