Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Retaining Wall...brick types

wrote:
Hi,

I am currently trying to build couple of retaining walls. These walls
are not going ro retain anything major..just so that they separate the
paved area at the back from the lawn. I have already dug the trenches
and have filled them with hardcore and then 6 inches of concrete. Now
i am about to start on the walls which will be less than a metre tall.

Sice this is in the back garden i want to keep the costs of my bricks
to a minimum. I have been advised by the local builders merchants to
use LBR Tudors. Is this type of brick ok or if anybody can recommend
any other type. Do i need to put some blue engineering bricks also?

Many Thanks.

I can't understand why your BM has told you to use London brick, all the
brick outlets around here give warnings about using londons for garden
walls - they are the most unsuitable brick for this purpose! - 1) they soak
up water like a sponge...2) they retain water like a sponge....3) when frost
comes, that water expands and blasts the brick apart given that they are
like biscuits - end result: within a few years you will have a nice pile of
red rubble where your wall used to be....any of the red Butterleys will be
far better, in fact any brick that isn't a London will be far better, here
is a bit of info on water absorption:
First a Tudor London brick:

Average Compressive Strength N/mm2:22-35
Average Water Absorption % by wt:20-24
Barcode:5050246082310
Brick size:215 x 102.5 x 65mm
Bricks per pack:390
Category:
Compressive Strength N/mm2:20
Dry weight kg:1.90
Durability to BS3921:MN
Format:Frogged
Gross density kg/m3:1330
Pack Dimensions w x d x h (mm):650 x 1075 x 850
Pack Weight dry kg:741
Short code:TUD
Suction rate kg/m2/min:12
Thermal Conductivity W/mēC:0.79
Water Absorption %by wt:12

And a Butterley Beckingham red:

Average Compressive Strength N/mm2:45 - 55
Average Water Absorption % by wt:8 - 11
Barcode:5050246076814
Brick size:215 x 102.5 x 65mm
Bricks per pack:450
Category:
Compressive Strength N/mm2:40
Dry weight kg:2.15
Durability to BS3921:FL
Format:Perforated
Gross density kg/m3:1500
Pack Dimensions w x d x h (mm):720 x 1075 x 875
Pack Weight dry kg:968
Short code:BECRM
Suction rate kg/m2/min:1
Thermal Conductivity W/mēC:0.75
Water Absorption %by wt:12

You don't want soft bricks like Londons, you need a more dense brick for
retaining walls, considering some of the wall will be moist all the time,
you can get some nice bricks quite cheap if you look around, buffs look
good, especially with a blue sailer course three courses from the top, or
topped off with blues