Posted to misc.consumers.house
Sandra Loosemore Sandra Loosemore is offline

Default Changing over from Electric oven to gas - what are my options?

writes:

Craig wrote:

If the OP does decide to go with gas in the kitchen, be sure to also have

a gas line run to the furnace, water heater (and fireplace, if there is one)
for future upgrades.

We have an oil tank in the basement so are you recommending me
abandoning oil altogether? I've never used an electric oven except once
in college and didn't find it very adequate.

I wouldn't consider replacing your heating system unless it needs
replacing. Did you get a home inspection before you bought your
house? The inspector's report should include something about the
condition and expected remaining life of the furnace or boiler. Also,
you should compare gas and oil heating prices in your area. Depending
on where you live, one or the other might be significantly cheaper.

OTOH, if you are going to have a plumber in to run a gas line into your
kitchen, it does make sense to have them configure it so you can easily
connect other stuff up to it in the future.

I also notice that it's
much more expensive to run an oven on electric than gas. Is that true?

Just how much baking are you planning to do? :-) Personally, aside from
running the AC in summer or using electric heaters in the winter, I've
noted that the refrigerator seems to have the biggest impact on electric
use. In my last house, I replaced a 20-year-old refrigerator with a new
Energy-Star rated one, and my electric bills dropped $20/month.

-Sandra