Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox Randy Cox is offline

Default Both a/c break down at the same time??

"Walter R." wrote in message
news
What is going on? I had 2 air conditioners (Rheem 3t) installed last
October.

Last Friday the first one bit the dust and Saturday the other one failed
completely. How is this possible with independent units??

While the a/c were running, they stopped dead: The fans (separate
circuits) keep running but the condensers just sit there, dead.

I checked the fuses at the units, I tripped and reset the circuit
breakers, I waited an hour and tried again, to no avail.

What can cause 2 units to stop working at nearly the same time? Is there
anything I can do before the service people come out on Tuesday? We are
right in a heat wave with temps around 105.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

If the conditions are right and the units working overtime, ice can build up
around the compressors causing them to fail. Two days ago my ten year old
window unit was blowing hot air. Because it is old, I assumed it finally
gave up the ghost. I turned it off and tried again about two hours
later.....no use.

Then right before I left to go to Home Depot for a new one, I tried one last
time. It worked great. It's been working great since then. Look for ice
build up around the compressor an or the coils. If you see ice, smile, a
little thaw and you may be good to go.

Good Luck,
Randy R. Cox