Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Electrical Panel Upgrade questions

"marspinball" wrote in message
Hi

I've decided to install central HVAC and was told that I will need a new
panel since mine is a 60 amp. My home was built in 1951. I have upgraded
to all modern appliances and have added numerous lighting and ceiling fans
also. I also have a game room with about twelve coin operated commercial
arcade games. Currently there is only a gas wall heater.

Since I have to upgrade the panel what amperage should I need and what
should I expect to pay. Should there be a difference in price between a
100 and 200 amp service. Also should the upgrade entail upgrading two
prong outlets, the ones without the ground. Since I have had many
electrical wire upgrades in the past all new circuits have grounds but the
bedroom/livingroom still have two prong plugs.

Thanks.

I contacted PSE for how much it would cost to upgrade my 100 A service to
200 A and it was grand total of $375 for doing the upgrade, they need to
take your service offline for a relatively large amount of time, one to
disconnect the current connection and then it will be off until the upgrade
to the service and the PERMITS and INSPECTION to the new meter, panel, and
anything else applicable are finished. Basically they told me it would be
off for about 6 hours.

Of course $375 doesn't cover the cost for having the electrician do his/her
work.