Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Finishing Basement Walls: Drywall Backer Required with Planking ?

wrote:
I'm tring to decide what to use for my basement walls. I have
everything framed up with 2x4's, added insulation and installed a vapor
barrier. I'm considering the following options (cheapest options
first):

painted drywall
paneling over unfinished drywall
PGM Wood Products wood planking (directly to the studs) pine or cedar
(most likely pine)

I like the idea of wood planking because it's easy to work with and do
a little at a time but I've seen some manufacturers don't recommend it
be applied directly to studs (and that a drywall backer should be
used). Is that really necessary? If I have to have a drywall backer,
I think I might just do paneling over it or (if I can't find a paneling
I like) or just paint it.

the reason they recommend drywall behing panelling is to provide a fire
separation. in a concrete basement, it probably isn't necessary on the
walls, though it seems like a good idea for your basement ceiling.