Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical Panel Upgrade questions

IMO it would make the most sense to increase to a 200 amp service, although
you probably can get away with less. The price difference isn't usually
substantial enough not to go for it. The price is going to vary depending
upon where you live, what type of service you get, and you can have whatever
you want included in the job. Call a couple of local contractors and talk to
them

"marspinball" wrote in message
Hi

I've decided to install central HVAC and was told that I will need a new
panel since mine is a 60 amp. My home was built in 1951. I have upgraded
to all modern appliances and have added numerous lighting and ceiling fans
also. I also have a game room with about twelve coin operated commercial
arcade games. Currently there is only a gas wall heater.

Since I have to upgrade the panel what amperage should I need and what
should I expect to pay. Should there be a difference in price between a
100 and 200 amp service. Also should the upgrade entail upgrading two
prong outlets, the ones without the ground. Since I have had many
electrical wire upgrades in the past all new circuits have grounds but the
bedroom/livingroom still have two prong plugs.

Thanks.