nightjar

Default domestic non-power wiring services

"Charles Lamont" wrote in message
news
I want to install up-to-date non-power wiring as I work through this
(old) house with 'heavy redecorating'. I think I want a computer network
and whatever other services might be deemed necessary today, eg: tv,
fm/digital radio, phone.

What would be appropriate reasonably up-market future-proof services to
provide and standards to adopt?

For example, for the network, would 'structured cabling' (by which I
think I mean Cat 5 STP & RJ45's) still be appropriate?

My personal plan for a small office network is to centralised the computers
and to use Cat5e cable to connect Keyboard/Video/Mouse switches to the
places I want to work from. I don't anticipate a great deal of need for
peripherals, other than at the central point, but a couple of workstations
will have USB2 connections and one printer may need to be remote. My main
concern is to remove sources of heat and noise from the workplace, but
having all the computers in one rack-mount case should mean that the actual
computer network is independent of the cabling I choose to run to the
workstations. I'm not sure how effective this setup would be at running the
latest generation games though.

Colin Bignell