Posted to alt.home.repair
GINO GINO is offline

Default burned water heater element

Thanks guys,
I'll go up next weekend and try another again, maybe change the thermostat
at the same time
"Dave" wrote in message
Gino: No. The thermostat senses the water temperature, not the element
temperature. So, no water at the upper levl, no cooling of the element.
I'd bet it overheats and melts down in just a few seconds if no water.
Next time run the hot water till all air is out before applying power to
the tank.

Dave

"GINO" wrote in message
.. .
I replaced a top element on an electric water heater ( double element) at
the cottage. We use lake water that is pumped up to a holding barrel above
the heater then feeds the heater. After replacing the element it took
quite a long time ti get water to run through the system to the tap, air
pockets I guess. The new element burned after a short while , it may have
been due to the air pockets and not much water in the top part of the
tank.

Question: this heater has a thermostat for top and bottom element, should
it not turn off the element if it gets to hot , either if water is
present or not?