Alan Rothenbush

Default Can something be TOO flat ?

In article , Jon Elson wrote:

Lots of affirmative comments, but not a lot of help on what
to do. Are you using way oil? If not, get some. It is designed
to not squish out of large, low PSI slideways. If this doesn't help,
they you are most likely going to have to frost it a bit to reduce
the gage-block effect. Having difficulty separating the surfaces is
not a problem, you don't WANT the surfaces to separate. But, you
do want to retain a thin oil film on the ways. If it has an oil
feed system, get that working so it applies a slow feed of oil to
the ways. That will prevent the film thinning down to nearly zero.

The oil feed is a couple of GITS cups, and the "owner's manual" says
to refill them once a week in normal use.

I'm not sure that's a solution .. sounds like scraper time.

Marcus must have a REALLY fine surface grinder to make surfaces this
true!

He moaned about the quality of it all day, but based upon what I see in
front of me, when he throws it out, I'm going to pick it up !

I think I got a first hand lesson on the difference between a machinist
and a tool and die maker. I always kinda thought a T&D guy was a machinist
who made tools. I'm starting to think the comparison is more along the
lines of a woodworker and a machinist; just a whole order of magnitude
higher precision.

Marcus was perfectly happy spending his whole day knocking a tenth off,
blueing and measuring, knocking a tenth off, all day, until it was "right".
I thought it was just fine about an hour before we finally did finish, but
Marcus wasn't quitting until it was "done".

It was a very informative day.

Alan

--
Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.