Posted to alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Best Way to Add Dirt So Rainwater Drains Away From House

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:34:10 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:32:27 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Just dig a one foot wide wide trench along the wall and install a
drainage system using 4 inch plastic pipe. The low end of the pipe
connects to drainage pipe that discharges into your storm sewer
system.

how dep should the trench be?

Your damp floor indicates that you have minor seepage, so I'd dig as
far as I could and call it a day. In a perfect world the drainage
would be about a foot beneath the basement floor.

Of course, the house should never have been built with drainage
moving toward the house. So all you are doing is giving the ground
water a quick escape away from the house.

The 100 year flood plain solution is a sump pump in your basement.